Mar 15, 2018
This week I'm thrilled to welcome Mark
Leary, Ph.D. to The Psychology Podcast! Dr.
Leary is the Garonzik Family Professor of Psychology and
Neuroscience at Duke University and author of The Curse of
the Self. His research interests focus on social motivation
and emotion, and on processes involving self-reflection and
self-relevant thought. He has written or edited 12 books and over
200 scholarly articles and chapters. He was the 2010 recipient of
the Lifetime Career Award from the International Society for Self
and Identity and a 2015 co-recipient of the Scientific Impact Award
from the Society for Experimental Social Psychology.
During our chat we covered a number of mutual research interests
- Self-esteem, identity and their relationships to behavior
- The distinction between “instrumental social value" and
"relational social value"
- The human need for belonging
- The concept of “self-presentation strategies" and their
- Imposter syndrome
- The difference between egoism and egotism
Read Dr. Leary's new blog at PsychologyToday